MONROVIA, Montserrado – The National Elections Commission has set November 20 as the date for the holding of by-elections in Sinoe and Montserrado’s 13th district.
NEC disclosed this information in a release when it announced the issuance of writs of elections to three of its elections magistrates to conduct the elections.
Montserrado’s 13th district representative seat became vacant because of the recent election of former representative Saah Joseph to the Senate to replace George Weah, who was senator of Montserrado before being elected as president. A senatorial seat in Sinoe also became vacant following former Senator Joseph Nagbe’s nomination to the Supreme Court as the associate justice.
According to NEC’s press release, October 6 will be the last day for the nomination of candidates. At the same time, the final list of candidates qualified to partake in the two by-elections will be published on October 19.
NEC’s director for public information, Prince Dunbar, disclosed in a Bush Chicken interview that the two by-elections would cost around US$1.2 million. Of the amount, Dunbar said US$800,000 would go toward holding the senatorial by-election in Sinoe, and the remaining US$200,000 for Montserrado’s 13th district.
He said no portion of the money had been received from the Ministry of Finance yet.
“The Finance Ministry people say they are processing the payment,” he noted.
Featured photo by Aaron Nah